Bottom-up digital social innovations are on the rise, including in healthcare. Innovators, users and communities in healthcare are starting to collaborate by using digital technologies to co-create knowledge and solutions for a wide range of needs.
Citizens experience the accessibility to healthcare services and products differently. The physical or mental limitations they are challenges with, influence their needs towards these products services greatly. Also, the social context in which citizens are living reflects the demand of services.
These barriers of accessibility can be categorized as follows:
- Healthcare products are too expensive;
- Healthcare products lack functionality;
- Healthcare products do not exist;
- Healthcare products are not accessible;
- Healthcare products are not aesthetically appealing or not durable or red designable.
Careables provides citizens with the possibility to co-product custom-made healthcare solutions that improve their quality of life. The Careables platform supports the connection made between users, healthcare professionals and makers to start the co-production of healthcare solutions.